The Petals in Bloom Scholarship Fund aims to provide financial assistance to homeless girls ages 16-21. The program awards eligible students $500 per year with the opportunity for additional incentives as funds become available. Recipients of the award must be homeless girls who are located within the Metropolitan Atlanta area and surrounding counties.
The project objectives for the Petals in Bloom Scholarship Fund are to:
- End homelessness for the student by assisting with college degree completion and job placement
- Reduce conditions contributing to the lack of access
- Assist with financial support for education-related expenses
- Provide personal and professional development
- Promote charitable giving
- Partner with other non-profit agencies, government entities and local businesses to assure the desired resources are available
What are the eligibility criteria?
- Must be a homeless female between the ages of 16-21 -Homeless is defined as children and youth who are: sharing the housing of other persons due to a loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (sometimes referred to as “doubled-up”); living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to a lack of alternative accommodations; living in emergency or transitional shelters; abandoned in hospitals; awaiting foster care placement; using a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings; living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above. (definition according to McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, Title X, Part C, of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001/adopted by the U.S. Department of Education)
- Must be currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior in high school
How do I apply?
- Complete application
- Submit verification of enrollment
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- Complete a 500 word essay on the effect of homelessness on your life
- Fabulous Friends in Philanthropy Board of Directors may request an interview with potential applicants to finalize their award decision
Who will select the recipients of the award? The Fabulous Friends in Philanthropy Board of Directors will review each application and determine who will be granted the award based on potential impact to the development of the young woman.
When may I submit an application? Applications may be submitted by mail from January 1 – August 1.
When will the scholarship be awarded? The scholarships will be awarded at the annual Petals in Bloom Scholarship Award Presentation.
Mail completed package to:
Fabulous Friends in Philanthropy
Petals in Bloom Scholarship Fund
2250 Oak Road SW, Unit 491
Snellville, GA 30078
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org